Seventeen. (1944). Harlan, IA: Hearst Communications. (ISSN: 0037-301X)
Seventeen is a teen magazine, marketing to young women, that publishes monthly.
With its glossy pictures, snappy headlines, and celebrity news, Seventeen caters to teenagers interested in fashion and entertainment news. It has sections on fashion, beauty, love, and health.
Seventeen is monthly magazine that strives to keep up the teenage girl up to date on fashion, make-up, and entertainment news.
Information About the Author:
Hearst Magazines, according to the Hearst website (2013), “is one of the world’s largest publishers of monthly magazines. The company has 20 US titles and 20 titles in the United Kingdom and about 300 international editions.
A list of their titles include many popular young adult titles including Marie Claire, Road & Track, ELLE, Car and Driver, and Popular Mechanics.
- Media class
Reading Level/Interest Age:
- Ages 12 and up
The material in the magazine is intended for entertainment. This magazine has no pretensions of including “serious journalism.” This could result in challenges surrounding the quality of the magazine or how women are depicted.
- Listen to the critic to understand what the concerns are.
- Ask if he/she has read the book
- Ask if he/she has spoken to his/her child about the concerns.
- Explain rationale for including the book in the collection
- Provide CLA Position Statement on Intellectual Freedom and CLA’s Position Statement of Diversity and Inclusion documents
- Provide school’s selection policy
- Provide list of reviews/lists
- If necessary, provide a “Request for Reconsideration form”
Why did you include this resource in the titles you selected?:
Teen collections need to have the fun and light materials as well as more serious literature. Seventeen does support literacy by appealing to reluctant readers and it does focus on some teenage girls’ interests in clothes, make-up, and fashion.
Hearst magazines. (2009). Retrieved March 22, 2013 from http://www.hearst.com/magazines/
Seventeen website: http://www.seventeen.com/